
Ankur Rathee, the versatile actor, is currently captivating audiences in Netflix’s latest South Asian dance drama, 'Best of the Best'. Led by a stellar cast including Maitreyi Ramakrishnan and Priyanka Kedia, the film delves into themes of identity, ambition, and friendship within the competitive world of US-based South Asian dance teams. For Rathee, this project signifies a pivotal new phase in his international career, offering a unique opportunity to blend his diverse experiences.
Stepping into Ronak's Shoes: A Blast from the Past
Rathee portrays Ronak, the charismatic and competitive captain of UCLA’s South Asian dance team. This role resonated deeply with the actor, allowing him to revisit a significant part of his own past. A former member of South Asian and contemporary dance teams during his time at Princeton, Rathee drew heavily from these personal experiences to bring authenticity to Ronak.
"What made Ronak particularly exciting was the opportunity to revisit a part of myself I hadn’t accessed in years. I was a college dancer, I’ve lived the intensity of these teams, and I remember what it felt like to be 22 and believe that charisma could carry you through anything," Rathee shared, emphasizing the profound connection he felt to the character.
The Challenge of Youthful Impulsiveness
Playing a character significantly younger than himself presented a unique acting challenge for Rathee. He aimed to shed the more restrained performance instincts he had cultivated over the years.
"The challenge was to strip away the restrained performance instincts I’ve developed as an actor over the years and find that youthful arrogance, vulnerability and impulsiveness again. In many ways, Ronak took me back to a version of myself I thought I had left behind," he explained.
Bridging Indian & Global Cinema
'Best of the Best' is a production deeply rooted in South Asian culture, featuring Bollywood-inspired dance sequences, Hindi dialogue, and nuanced cultural elements – all familiar territory for Rathee, given his extensive work in Indian cinema. He even dubbed his character in Hindi and Urdu for Netflix’s international release.
• Cultural Authenticity: The film's embrace of Bollywood aesthetics and Hindi dialogue allowed Rathee to leverage his rich experience in Indian productions.
• Career Evolution: He views this international opportunity not as a departure, but as a meaningful evolution, bringing his unique perspective to a global stage.
"To make my Hollywood debut with a film that is so deeply connected to the South Asian experience makes it even more special. I get to take everything I’ve learned as an actor in India and bring that perspective into a global production," Rathee stated, highlighting the significance of this crossover.
Dynamic Chemistry with Maitreyi Ramakrishnan
The journey to landing the role involved rigorous auditions and chemistry reads, particularly with co-star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan. Rathee fondly recalled their immediate creative synergy.
"Working with Maitreyi was one of the most exciting parts of this experience. There was an immediate creative chemistry between us, and she brings such honesty, humor, and unbridled instinct to Maya. Our characters are constantly challenging each other, and that dynamic made the scenes incredibly alive," he said, praising their on-screen rapport.
With 'Best of the Best', Ankur Rathee seamlessly integrates his background as a college dancer with his decade-long career in Indian film and streaming, offering a performance that is both authentic and globally resonant. His impressive filmography includes projects such as 'The Tashkent Files', 'Thappad', 'Taish', 'Shehzada', 'Made in Heaven', and 'Inside Edge'.


